Monday, July 10, 2006

Boyne Marathon XC (MMBA CPS)

John Meyers attended the Boyne Marathon XC this past weekend . After taking a few years off for family John Meyers returned last year to MTB racing on the Bells team. John had some great solid results for the team and himself last year. This year John has stepped it up a notch or two, finishing top 5 a most races he attends. Saturday John hit the #1 spot at the Boyne race on his Quiring 29er (rigid = no suspension). Racking up his first win of the season John looks to keep the Big wheels rolling thru out the summer as we wind up for the 1st stop of The Great Lakes Triple Crown the Ore to Shore this August.

John Meyers race report:
I finally have a victory to post for the Bells/Quiring team. The first place finish was good and solid but not trouble free. The race was held at the Boyne Mountain ski area and consisted of 4 laps of 11 1/2 miles per lap a little shorter than planned. I was able to take the hole shot from the start but ran in to some trouble at about a mile and turned of course...this occurred four times during the first lap. I had to chase and work my way back into the lead to only do the same thing going up the large paved hill. For some reason I thought we were riding the single track and nearing the top I looked over and the three races behind went by on the hill. I chased and got back on but decided to sit back and memorize the course for the second lap. During the second lap the bottom of left foot slammed into a large rock and part of my cleat broke off which created a huge problem keeping my shoe placed on my pedal. Again have troubles I decided to sit behind the rider in front because I was struggling with the left foot remaining locked in the pedal....As we entered the fourth lap I decided to put a little pressure on the rider that was leading and jumped up the first climb I was able to create a gap and with that I did not look back and rolled in with a victory for the team. Total climbing for the race was 4000 plus feet plus average heart rate was 165, total distance was 46.5 miles and a time of 3 hours and 3 hours 34 minutes. Thanks Larry Bell for the support and great beer and Scotty Q for the great frames....I think I'm about do for that new fork. This raps up four weekends for racing for me....looking for a short rest period with the ore to shore just around the corner.

No comments: