Wednesday, August 08, 2007

BIG M --- MI USAC series

Joberon and Jason Lummis attended Tailwind.nets USAC series race in the Manistee national Forest near Wellston MI. Joberon had a great race with a 2nd place finish while Jason finished 7th.


JOE----
Big M
Well married life hasn't slowed down the Flying Frenchman. With my teammate Mike sitting the Big M event out Christian Tanguy of American Cycle and Fitness/WSC had no one to play with. I tried hard to keep him company for half a lap but paid dearly. Breathing through my eyeballs I was forced to ease up the pace and return to the sandbox with the others. While trying to regain my composure I looked back to see Michael Wissink(Specialized) chasing me down. We had a small gap that was short lived and eventually we were over a half dozen strong cruising the hills of Big M in search of 2nd place. With the openness of the course and some new riders in the mix I chose to play is safe as I knew the 5th and final lap would be a barn burner. Coming into the final lap I lost contact with the group on the large sandy downhill. With some work I was able to reach the guys before the fireworks had started. Greg Kuhn(KLM), who was super aggressive all day, made a big move that started the fun. He and Michael had a gap that my teammate Jason was working to bridge. Just as we got within striking distance Michael counter attacked and was off and running. I stomped on the pedals and chased him down and got around him before the sandy descent to the finish. From there I just had to keep it upright. The Quiring 29er and those big o'l Stans wheels got me through the beach like conditions for that 2nd spot. Next rumble will be Ore to Shore. I'm really looking forward to trying out my sweet bike in this seasons first big point to point event. See you all up there. If not at the race you can be sure to find me at the Bell's Midsummers Night Beer Party. Who's thirsty??? Joberon--



Jason----

Big M. Great venue, bad day for me. Well not bad day, but just didn't have the legs to hang till the end. I was pushing hard from the start felt like poo and fell back to the end of the train. Worked my way back to the front by the end of the 2nd lap and tried to take a turn pushing the pace a few times. 6 guys rolling around a 6mile lap for 5 laps together gets old, especially with 2 racers doing nothing but hanging on (cmon this is your local series step and show your wheels). Kuhncapi pulled the ole' I am done and pulled over on the last lap forcing me to the front of our 6 pack racing for 2nd. Knowing my teammate Joe was waiting for the move I kept the pace rolling. Kuhncapi attacked taking Wiz with him, Joberon came around and closed the gap. I chased as long as I could catching them as Wiz jumped. I was done and rolled in for 7th, Either everyone is getting faster or the 10 or less hrs a week I train is not making me any faster, oh well the middle of the season drags on and Ore to Shore is in a couple days. I have 2 days of hiking with my wife and son before 1 crazy day of party planning in Marquette for the O2S--- Great race prep probably not but well see how things shake out, top 30 will be fine since I know my fitness is lacking.

No comments: